Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sundried Tomato Risotto

This wonderful recipe came from Pioneer Woman, which means it was, of course, delicious! I just happened to have all the ingredients for this and had a craving for warm, homey food earlier this week. This hit the spot perfectly!



It took me 3 tries, no lie, to get a non-shaky shot of the ingredients! I never realized how hard it could be to get a stable picture of non-moving objects!



I am terrible at chopping onions. I'm very sorry Ree, you have explained over and over how to do this and yet I still fail miserably!



Regardless, onions and garlic combined is God's greatest gift to humanity.



These sundried tomatoes were a beast to cut. I definitely wished I had a food processor!



This pot has been the most amazing purchase my mom has ever made on my behalf!


Mmm onions and garlic in butter! It does get better!



Adding the wine



Arborio rice is beautiful! It's so pearly and tiny!



I made a small boo-boo and added the wine to the onions before the rice, but it turned out alright in the end :)



The tomatoes turned much brighter throughout the cooking process



All mixed together



Adding the broth a little at a time is a long process, but so worth it! It turns out soooo creamy, without any dairy products at all!



Adding Parmesan. Yes, it's the bottled stuff, because I lack the budget for the good stuff. Forgive me, culinary gods, for I have sinned.



I did add some 2% milk rather than heavy cream, because that was what I had on hand, and that's what Pioneer Woman said to do.



Heaven in a bowl. Yum!


4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons EVOO
1/2 whole large yellow onion, diced
3 whole cloves garlic, minced
2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
7-9 sundried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and minced
1 cup dry white wine (optional, I opted.)
7 cups low sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper as needed
1 cup Parmesan
1/4 cups heavy whipping cream (or, in my case, 2% milk)

1. Heat broth in a saucepan or in the microwave and set aside
2. Heat butter and EVOO in a pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes.
3. Add dry rice, stirring to coat and cooking for 3 more minutes. Add wine, stir and cook over medium-low heat until most of liquid is absorbed. Add sundried tomatoes and stir.
4. Begin adding broth, one cup at a time, stirring until the liquid is absorbed, then adding the next cup. Repeat until rice is done. Rice should have a slight bite, but not be crunchy. I used about 6 cups of broth total.
5. Remove from heat, then stir in Parmesan and heavy cream. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment